From the Hovingham Market Group
We are grateful for the support of shoppers and users of the Café and grateful also for the support of all the stall holders both regular and occasional. Sincere thanks also to the over 100 volunteers who have staffed the Cafés and helped to set up and take down the stalls, given up their time to hand out literature, sell Market bags, and so on.
The Market continues to serve the local community and the surrounding area providing a wide range of local supplies and crafts. The vast majority of all the produce and items on sale originate within an area of 30 miles radius of Hovingham. That we always have a waiting list of stall holders wishing to join the market is testimony of its continuing success.
The Market has greatly benefited the local economy through its Community Café and its Community Stalls which between them have raised over £25,000 for local organisations in both Hovingham and Scackleton.
• Both Churches and Chapel have put the money they raised towards their fabric funds, maintaining 3 churches in Hovingham & Scackleton.
• The Friends of Hovingham School have used their funds towards providing transport for swimming lessons and playground equipment.
• The Playgroup Committee also used money to purchase new equipment as well as paying towards ongoing grass cutting & maintenance.
• The Tennis Club raised enough money to resurface and repaint the court.
• All this as well as providing for the village to purchase seating (including a tree seat), rubbish bins, bee hives, village hall tables, equipment for the youth group, contributing towards the cost of resurfacing the village hall car park, giving donations to the British Legion and sponsorship of the Jubilee Celebrations. Thank you to all who make our market a success.
The market takes place on the first Saturday of every month; dates for the rest of the year are July 6, August 3, September 7, October 5, November 2 and December 7, with a special Christmas market on December 21.